Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Year, A New Resolution

So, I just realized that it's been two months since I've posted something and that is pretty horrible. It's amazing how swept up you can get in life. Fall and Winter are the busiest time of year for our family. Thanksgiving, Nate's Birthday, 5 Family Christmases, more family gatherings, and My Birthday later...here I am. 2010 was an incredible year for us.

We started out the year expecting our first child and, although we were nervous, we were mostly carefree. Then came the news that Shelby was low on amniotic fluid and a whole barrage of tests, ultrasounds, and AFI checks followed. It wasn't soon after that Nate's Grandfather, "Shorty" passed away. It was a very tough time.

Halfway through April, I went on maternity leave earlier than expected because we thought Shelby would need to come early via c-section. Well, that didn't happen. So we waited "patiently" for two weeks before she was born on May 4th. A couple days in the hospital, and then we went home...only to head to Stillwater the next day to celebrate Nate's graduation from OSU.

The fun didn't stop there. We decided to make the move back to Tulsa because we wanted Shelby to be able to grow up around our families. So we started building on a house to be completed in approximately 3 months. During this time, we discovered that my grandmother had cancer. She passed away very soon after finding out about her cancer. I will be honest and say that our relationship was a complicated one. Oh so complicated. I loved my grandmother but during these past 10 years, we had become distant. There were unspoken words and conversations I wish we could have had...but I know that it is not possible now. I was very happy that she was able to meet Shelby though before she died.

We pressed forward and enjoyed some of Shelby's "firsts"...her first smiles and squeals which made my heart melt. We moved into our home in August and Shelby slept in her own room the first night we moved in!

Then came September and Matt and Melissa's wedding. Shelby's first plane ride (where she pooped on every single takeoff and landing); her first visit to the beach; our first semi- family vacation. It was beautiful.

October, November, and December were a whirlwind of family, football, and fun. Shelby and I endured the long stretches we weren't able to see Nate because of coaching high school football. She was a monkey for Halloween and enjoyed her first taste of mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving. She took her first camping trip and celebrated with Nate at his 29th birthday. She semi-opened gifts on Christmas morning and started making new funny sounds everyday.

And here we are today. Shelby will be {8} months this week. She has swept us all away with her sweet little smile. God knew exactly what He was doing when he placed her in our lives last May. Shelby was our light and hope for the future when times were dark last year. I look forward to all that 2011 has in store for us as a family.

This year I want to strive to make my relationships with friends
and family a priority. To let those around me know how much I appreciate them. And to enjoy every moment I have with my daughter. That's it and that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment